Posted on Monday, November 5th, 2012 at 12:46 pm under Events

Alex, Class of 2013
(originally posted on October 13, 2012)

I can’t believe another week has passed by already! My time here is going by way too quickly! Even though it is Saturday, I actually offered to come in and run the RNC phone bank for the day. We have tons of volunteers from the DC area coming in today to make phone calls to voters! Since this is the first real downtime I have had all week, I figured I would give you all a quick recap of my week in Washington:

Once I got back from NC, I was pumped up and ready to go! We are in the home stretch of this election, and with early and absentee voting already in progress, there is no rest for the RNC. I spent a good portion of my week making maps of congressional districts and voting precinct locations throughout the United States. It may sound boring, but it has been surprisingly fun and informative. I have also been spending a lot of time looking at public opinion poll data for my division, and making targeting recommendations based upon what I find. Since we were just coming off of the first Presidential debate, this was an awesome project! I am excited to do this again next week post VP debate! It may not sound like what I am doing is all that thrilling, but on a daily basis I am working with members of the RNC to compile information and make recommendations that will be used by campaigns throughout the nation. That is pretty cool, if you ask me!
If I had one piece of advice for someone looking to do an internship, I would tell them to make the internship whatever they want it to be. I have learned in my 6 weeks here that I could have very easily sat back and just done the minimum amount of work required. However, I chose to approach my intern supervisor and ask for more work. Not only does it make the day go by faster, but it also shows that you are ambitious. It makes the staff in your office realize how determined you are to go above and beyond, and also that you are truly dedicated to the office. This also means that they are more likely to bring you in to help them with special projects. I can honestly say that I am getting a great deal out of my internship and I couldn’t be happier!!