Posted on Thursday, February 4th, 2010 at 4:11 pm under Events

By
Tom Nesbitt, Director of Admissions

So much to do… So many possibilities!  I love being in Potsdam this time of year.  Over the next four nights there are over 20 scheduled events on campus.  From music to sports to a Texas Hold’em tournament to our annual Snow Ball, SUNY Potsdam is the place to be!

I’ll be spending much of my time Friday at Maxcy Hall participating in Bear Pride Night.  The basketball teams are hosting the Bengals from Buffalo State.  The Men’s Hockey team is hosting the Mustangs from Morrisville and there are countless chances to both show school spirit and win some pretty nice prizes.  In addition, Time Warner Sports is broadcasting the basketball games live across the entire state of NY.  So even if you can’t get up here, tune in if you have Time Warner and watch some good SUNYAC conference basketball.

On Saturday, I’ll be participating in the Athletic Open House on campus and then head over to Jerry Welsh gymnasium to watch the alumni game.  This is always a highlight for me as I get to chat with players, reminisce and hear about all of the great things they are doing.  You just never know who is going to show up and it is always great to see both the men and women who helped shape what our program is today.  After that, the hoop teams are back in action against the Blue Devils from Fredonia then I’ll head home to get set up for the Super Bowl the next day.

Given more time, there are quite a few events I’d like to attend.  The Snow Ball should be a great time and learning more about the music and life of Brahms will be both educational and enjoyable.  The Met is live in HD at the local movie theatre and the Intramural Card Board and Duct tape Boat race in the Maxcy Hall pool is a must make at least once while you are on campus.

People often ask me what there is to do during the winter in Potsdam.  I can say without hesitation that my wife and I are more active during the winter months than during the summer.  There is just something about the excitement of an active campus community that brings people together.  Until next time…