Posted on Monday, March 8th, 2010 at 5:07 pm under Events

Brian, Class of 2012

The first five weeks of the semester are already gone? I always seem to find myself saying that every year, but it feels as if the beginning of this semester has just flown. Not only that, but spring break is only a few days away now. The notion of going home for a few days is nice, but I’m also looking forward to coming back to Potsdam early on Thursday evening. I’m making an early return in order to leave early Friday morning for a geology conference in Baltimore. The geology department is taking over 20 students to Baltimore for a three day annual meeting of the Northeast section of the Geological Society of America. Some students in our group are presenting research or internship projects, but others (like me) are just going for the experience and the exposure to the wider geology community at large. I’m looking forward to the short field trips we’ll be taking to the Chesapeake Bay area, as well as spending time with classmates and faculty outside of the classroom environment. Also, while in Baltimore, I hope to get a chance to meet up with my older sister who lives in Washington DC.

Temperatures have been consistently above freezing this week, and we’ve had a noticeable increase in sunshine as well. This means that there is a great deal of slush and mud along the ground, but that’s a small price I’m willing to pay for longer days. Just wait until a week from this Sunday, Daylight Saving Time will start up again and we’ll be back to 7PM sunsets before you know it!

On another note, three friends and I had applied to live in a townhouse next year and we got an email two days ago indicating that we were successful. This is really exciting and gives me something to look forward to for my junior year. Townhouses are the premier form of on-campus housing. They are houses owned and maintained by the school, and they each contain four bedrooms (or five in some cases), two and a half bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. Best of all, I’ll be living with three good friends and we will have complete control of our own heat and air conditioning! Things are looking up.