Posted on Monday, March 22nd, 2010 at 10:54 am under Events

Brian, Class of 2012

I just returned from spring break and a geology conference.

GSA Conference

GSA Conference

The conference was the annual meeting of the Northeast and Southeast sections of the Geological Society of America and was held in Baltimore, MD.

The Potsdam geology department was able to bring around 22 students to the conference, along with 4 faculty members. This marks the biggest group that we’ve ever sent to the GSA conference. We brought three vans and on the way down stopped in central PA to see some very interesting outcrops along with the results of acid mine drainage on local stream ecosystems (imagine bright orange rivers and streams). We got into our hotel in Baltimore late Friday night and set out early Saturday morning to take field trips to some beaches along the Chesapeake Bay. Our main purpose for our beach visits was to go fossil hunting. I’m no paleontologist, and my collection of shells and shark teeth at the end of the day was far less impressive than those found by others in our group, but I still enjoyed our trips. The next three days of our trip consisted of attending poster presentations and topic-specific talks at the conference. Much of the content went straight over my head, but there was a great deal that I could understand and caught my attention greatly.

I was not greatly impressed by the city of Baltimore, but I suspect that has a great deal to do with the fact that it rained for nearly every minute that we were there! Regardless of the weather, my first GSA conference was a great experience and I am grateful for the opportunity to get to better know the older Potsdam geology majors, as well as my professors.

But now it’s time to play catch-up for the two days of classes that I missed.  I will be locked up studying for three tests in the next two days!

GSA Conference

GSA Conference