Posted on Thursday, November 18th, 2010 at 12:12 pm under Events

Chelsey, Class of 2013

While it may not be the healthiest thing in the world, all-nighters are unfortunately a part of the average college life. Luckily for me, I pulled my first all-nighter of the semester this past week. No one enjoys running on empty, but depending on how you do it, the night can either drag on or become manageable. Personally, I like to make a sleepless night as minutely gruesome as possible. Here are my rules for surviving the journey into vampire territory:

•    Make a List
Make a list of everything that you need to accomplish. Cross an item off every time you finish something. It makes you feel like you’re getting work done, which eliminates extra stress on an already stressful evening. Also, this ensures that you’ll complete everything necessary.

•    Eat and Stay Hydrated
While constant eating may hinder progress, a food break every few hours makes things
far more manageable. It gives you energy and also gives your brain much needed
down time for a few minutes.

•    Eliminate Distractions
While your best friend or favorite music may seem necessary to make it through, distractions like these are not going to help you concentrate or get your work done,
which is the entire reason for this misery in the first place.

Lastly, don’t do this often! Build up of lack of sleep can make your life miserable, trust me. It’s unhealthy and after a while, causes you to miss those morning classes. The occasional all-nighter is the must of a busy life, but is only the practice of a hard one.