Posted on Thursday, May 5th, 2011 at 11:00 am under Events

Becky, Class of 2013

This weekend marked the beginning of tech week for the Senior Choreographers’ Concert, 3-Dimensional. We have been working all semester on our pieces and this weekend the nine finished products will be presented in three separate shows.  I will be performing three pieces, one by each of the senior choreographers: Tani Currier, Talisa Davis, and Mollie Priest.

Most of my weekend was consumed by rehearsals.  Saturday morning I had CaribFunk rehearsal bright and early at 9am and then rehearsal for a special performance in collaboration with a French professor right after that.  After a half hour break, it was straight into a three hour rehearsal for Tani’s piece.  Straight from there, I had to go to lighting rehearsal for Mollie’s quintet.  A lighting rehearsal isn’t much of a rehearsal at all…it’s just when we walk through our spacing and the lighting designers do their thing to make it look amazing.  This semester, our time slots were a little longer than normal because the show is being lit by students in the Fundamentals of Lighting Design for Stage class.  It’s an exciting opportunity for them to get to design for the show, so it wasn’t anything we minded sacrificing a little time for.  They actually moved pretty quickly, and we even ended a few minutes early!  Sunday I had lighting rehearsals for the other two pieces, and then rehearsal for Junkanoo Project, which is a part of CaribFunk class.  My weekend wasn’t restful…but it was fun!

Caribfunk

For as busy as my weekend was, my week so far has been even more hectic.  I’ve had the normal end-of-the-semester craziness that the normal college student has to deal with, in addition with rehearsals that consume my evenings.  It’s a little crazy, and I’m certainly not sleeping as much as I’d like to, but I know it’ll all be worth it this weekend after I perform.  Tech rehearsals are always stressful because there is a lot of backstage wait time, but because there are so many people in such a small space it’s hard to get anything done.  On top of that, it’s a challenge to be that close to the same people so often, especially when we’re all stressed as it is.  So far it’s been okay, and I hope the rest of the week will follow suit.  Fingers crossed!