Posted on Thursday, May 12th, 2011 at 11:27 am under Events

Becky, Class of 2013

This weekend was eventful to say the least.  Friday night was the opening for the Senior Choreographers’ Concert.  We were all excited and eagerly anticipating our performance that we’ve worked on for so long.  All of the pieces that I performed in went really well and I felt really great about the work that I presented.  There were a few technical difficulties, but nothing that couldn’t be solved.  Overall, it was a successful first show.

The next morning I had to get up early because my parents and one of my best friends from home, Bonnie, came up to visit and see the performance.  I spent the day with them around Potsdam and even convinced them to go to the Potsdam Humane Society where they have a little of German Shepard mix puppies that are conveniently going to be ready to be adopted out the very day I go home.  I’m planning to adopt one and take it home with me, so I couldn’t be more excited!  We went out to dinner at Scoopuchino’s and I had the most delicious spicy black bean burger of my life.  I’ve never been so happy to be a vegetarian.  Before I knew it, it was time to get ready for the show.

…And that is when things started going wrong.  First, the iPod hookup wasn’t working during warm up.  That wasn’t a huge deal as far as the actual show was concerned, but you’d be astounded the effect that a lack of music had on the dancers.  The entire mood was completely different and everyone was dragging.  Unfortunately, that wasn’t the end of the glitches.  Right after warm up, we discovered that none of the stage lights would turn on.  This wound up delaying the show half an hour, and stressing the entire production staff as well as the performers beyond belief.  The performance certainly wasn’t our best, but under the circumstances we did the best we could.  As they say, the show must go on!

Sunday’s show, however, more than made up for the unfortunate happenings of the evening before.  It was probably the best run that the three pieces I’m in have ever had.  I was more than proud of the work I did and I’m absolutely devastated that the three senior choreographers won’t be working with us in Potsdam any longer.  I know they are going on to do great things, and I hope that one day I have the chance to work for them again.  You never know!  For now, I’m just going to focus on recuperating from a long and stressful week and start preparing myself for the finals looming ahead.  13 days and we’re done!  Where did spring semester go?

Senior Show