Posted on Monday, May 16th, 2011 at 4:08 pm under Events

Becky, Class of 2013

That’s it: we made it!  Well, almost.  Today was the final day of classes at SUNY Potsdam and I had the pleasure of enjoying my last class with first-year status.  It was a lot of fun, because like a lot of last days, my classes involved a lot of fun activities that they don’t normally include.  It also helped that it was a beautiful week, so some of my classes were outside.  That’s something I really love about SUNY Potsdam: the outdoor classrooms.  Like I’ve stated in past blogs, even though it’s so cold here for much of the year, when it gets warm there is such a huge change in Potsdam life.  Everyone gets so happy and things just look up.

Not only did some of my lecture styles venture into the quad, but so did my dance classes.  On Wednesday we had modern outdoors.  We did a Limón style class, which was especially fun for me because I have spent all semester researching and writing about Limón for my dance history class.  It was so nice to dance and be able to look up into the sky.  My feet were left completely grass stained, but it was more than worth it.

Our improvisation class on Thursday was outside as well.  We did a lot of different exercises that we’ve done throughout the semester and it was a really nice culminating experience.  Today we did yoga outside during modern class.  We’ve spent every other Friday doing Yoga all semester.  It’s been a nice way to mix up the schedule and keep things fresh.  I’ve always wanted to do yoga outside but never actually had the chance until today.  It was a very different experience, but I really enjoyed it.

It’s also been a very emotional week since a lot of my friends are graduating.  I’ve become so close to Tani, Talisa and Mollie through having so many dance classes with them, as well as through being in their pieces for the concert.  I feel like I have learned so much and I’ve started looking up to them like older siblings.  My good friend Joey from CariDanco is also graduating.  Next year is going to be so different without them all!  Luckily, we still have the next week to spend time together and I plan to hold on to every minute possible.

Improv class held outside