Posted on Saturday, October 22nd, 2011 at 3:19 pm under Events

Becky, Class of 2014

Yesterday we had our fourth guest teacher come in to work with us – the amazing Bill Evans!  Bill is a renowned tapper and modern choreographer currently based out of the Rochester area.  He’s also the man responsible for one of my favorite dance quotes of all time; “the real reason I dance is because I want to explode.”  Upon hearing he was coming, I wanted to explode, too.

He taught four classes: Bartineiff Principles, Repertory, Modern, and Tap. Because of my schedule and the short notice, I was only able to take the Rep class.  It was absolutely amazing.  We learned a bit of his work “Going to the Moon” and also had the opportunity to work with Don, the man that originally performed the solo.  The work was dedicated to an old dance friend of both Bill and Don who was taken by AIDS about 15 years ago.  It was an emotional and touching piece and it felt amazing to dance it.  I
was pretty much floating to the moon myself, while “creating the universe along the way,” of course.

This semester has been so packed with guest artists that I can hardly keep track!  Taylor II, Carlos Jones, Big APE, Bill Evans…and next week there’s ANOTHER one coming!  It’s times like these that I couldn’t be happier to be a dance major.