Posted on Wednesday, December 4th, 2013 at 5:15 pm under Events

Some friends ice-skating!

Brady, Class of 2015

With the advent of the new hockey arena opening, ice-skating has become something that all SUNY Potsdam students can enjoy again. On November 4th I was able to take to the ice again, something that I was not able to do since my freshmen year. The arena was packed full of excited students and the line to get free skate rentals went out the door. Even with the line, the majority of people who came were able to skate and everyone who went had a blast.

I not so nimbly skated on the ice with my arms swerving trying to keep my balance and watched as many other students did the same. All the students in the arena had a blast as many took to the ice showing off their new skills, or gripping the wall attempting to stay up. Those skaters who were quite skilled were more than happy to lend a hand to lift someone up or give tips on how to skate.

Overall, the opening of the hockey arena for open skating is a great thing. It allows SUNY Potsdam students a time to have a lot of fun with friends and learn a new skill. With free rentals and costing nothing but time, why wouldn’t you want to go? The arena has open skating on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:15-11:00 P.M. It is a great opportunity and it is one that I will certainly be taking advantage of this year.