Posted on Friday, September 3rd, 2010 at 4:25 pm under Wikimania, WMF strategy
Session on offline Wikipedia at Wikimania 2010

Session on offline Wikipedia at Wikimania 2010. Pic by Walkerma, Creative Commons BY-SA-3.0.

I had the good fortune to attend Wikimania 2010 in the beautiful city of Gdansk, Poland in July.  As in the past, it was a great pleasure to meet other Wikimedians in person – for example Heiko and Headbomb (see picture).

When I attended Wikimania in 2006, discussions on offline content were minimal, and the main issues were quality (partly as fallout from the Seigenthaler incident), stable versions (aka flagged revisions/pending changes) and pushing on with the Wikipedia revolution.  Four years later, offline content has become a major priority.  There were several “offline” sessions in Gdansk, all giving different viewpoints and focussing on different parts of the publication process.  We also heard Sue Gardner and Jimmy Wales talking about reaching out to the “global south“, which implicitly includes a major offline component.

Clearly, this is an exciting time for those of us who believe passionately in the idea of using offline collections to put free knowledge into the hands of people around the world.  Coincidentally, we have a lot happening on the English Wikipedia; our stumbling efforts are finally giving us tools that will deliver reliable offline content, and (I believe!) stand up to scrutiny by the community and by the press.  For all of these reasons, I thought it was about time to start a blog devoted to these activities, and hopefully persuade other Wikipedians to share their part of the work.   If things go well,  this may become a place for us to share ideas and track developments in offline Wikipedia collections.

I had the good fortune to attend Wikimania 2010 in the beautiful city of Gdansk, Poland in July.  As in the past, it was a great pleasure to meet other Wikimedians in person Session on offline Wikipedia at Wikimania 2010

One Response to “Wikimania 2010 and Wikipedia offline”

1. Wikipedia Offline » Blog Archive » Malayalam Wikipedia Says:

[…] I mentioned in my previous post, the Wikimedia Foundation is (at last!) getting seriously interested in offline releases.  At […]